Victim Assistance Program
Unfortunately, the CHS Victim Assistance Program is currently unfunded. Please CONTACT US for victim assistance through our Community Outreach & Advocacy Program.
HOW CAN THE VICTIM ASSISTANCE PROGRAM HELP YOU?
- Provide crisis intervention and advocacy services for people who are DDBHH and are victims of crime
- Offer short-term counseling
- Assist with filing a police report and working with the court system
What are examples of crimes?
What if the crime happened years ago? Can I still get help?
Yes – CHS can help you regardless of when the crime occurred.
What about family members of the victim? Can they get help?
Yes – we also provide assistance and referrals for victims’ family members or significant others, whether or not they are Deaf, DeafBlind or Hard of Hearing.
What about Trauma-Informed Care?
We recognize the signs of trauma, and we can help with trauma-informed care referrals.
What should I do if I am in immediate danger?
If you need the police or emergency medical care, call 911 V/TTY/VP.
Is there a cost for CHS’s services?
No – our Victim Assistance services are free of charge and completely confidential.
Chicago Hearing Society can help!
The Victim Assistance Program offers:
- Safety from abuse by assisting you to find shelter
- Crisis intervention to help you in emergency situations
- Counseling to help you and your family cope with your situation
- Assistance in reporting the crime to the police
- Advocacy to ensure your rights are protected
- Support in working with the police and court system
- Assistance in applying for victim compensation