At CHS, the newly implemented DeafBlind Community Program is a collaboration between our community and state partners to create a dedicated service geared specifically for the DeafBlind and low vision community with hearing loss to ensure equal access to services and programs throughout the state of Illinois. Services are available at no cost and DeafBlind specislists are able to provide communication in a consumer’s preferred communication mode.
- DeafBlind Community Services
- Provide advocacy for access and services in the intermediate Chicagoland region
- Develop independent living skills
- Support tactile instruction and American Sign Language skills
- Educate community on the needs of the DeafBlind and Low Vision Community
- Support service providers with training and resources related to all aspects of DeafBlind access
- Community Outreach and Education related to the DeafBlind Community
- iCanConnect (ICC – NDBEDP) National DeafBlind Equipment Distribution Program
- Free equipment and training for individuals with vision and hearing loss in the State of Illinois who meet the federal disability and income guidelines.
- Each consumer receives an individualized assessment to ensure they are fitted with the best equipment solutions.
- Equipment can include access to smartphones, tablets, computers, braille displays and more.
- Obtain an application for the ICC Program at CHS’s NDBEDP Page
For more information about the iCanConnect Program and DeafBlind Community Program, please email Jason Weiland at JWeiland@anixter.org or call (312) 957-4865 (Videophone/Voice).